Overview: Take full control over your external Bluetooth or USB keyboard.
Requirements: Android OS 1.6 and up
Market Update Released: September 20, 2012
:stop: PLEASE DO NOT USE THE RATING SYSTEM TO REPORT BUGS!
INSTEAD CONTACT ME
A non visible soft keyboard (Input Method) intended to be used with hardware Bluetooth and USB keyboards. It automatically brings up the Input Method dialog when Bluetooth keyboard connects or disconnects (on some devices this can also be made to work with USB keyboards). It supports a lot of different keylayouts for non-US external keyboards and also provides a lot of configuration options.
This app does NOT require a rooted device and there is a DEMO version available if you want to try it out before buying.
External Keyboard Helper Pro Features
* International keyboard layouts.
* Up to 16 application shortcuts can be added (for example start Google Maps with Alt+M etc.)
* Up to 16 text strings can be add (for example insert your email address with Alt+E etc.)
* Remaps the Escape key to BACK (can be turned off)
* Allows you to control which characters should be treated as combining characters.
* A “null” Soft Keyboard to use with hardware keyboards (Bluetooth & USB).
* Automatically brings up Input Method selection dialog when Bluetooth keyboard connects or disconnects (Android 2.3+).
* Automatic detection can also work with USB keyboards on some platforms (experimental) (Android 2.3+)
* App that brings up Input Method selection (for easy access)
* Switch between up to three layouts of your choice using a key or key combination.
* Can choose keymap automatically based on language setting in your device.
* Blocks long-press-popups on Android 2.x.
* Change the key repeat delay and rate.
* Layouts can be modified and two user defined custom layouts can be configured.
Currently supported keyboard layouts
* Arabic (101, 102 & 102 AZERTY)
* Bosnian & Herzegovian
* English (Colemak, Dvorak, Dvorak Left hand, Dvorak Right hand, Dvorak Programmer, GB & US-International)
* French (Bépo, Canada, France & Switzerland)
* German (Germany & Switzerland)
* Hindi Traditional
* Lithuanian (Numeric)
* Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal & Br-Nativo)
* Slovak (qwerty & qwertz)
* Spanish (Latin America, Spain/Int & Dvorak)
* Thai (Kedmanee & Pattachote)
* Turkish (F & Q)
All layouts are based on standard USB Keyboard layouts. Bluetooth keyboards sometimes do not follow the standard completely but it is possible to manually customize mappings.
Characters that can be treated as combining characters
* dialytika tonos
* dot above / dot below
* double acute
* hook above
What it does NOT
* It won’t fix your Bluetooth or USB connected keyboard if it wasn’t working in the first place.
* It does not automatically switch Input Method. It only shows the dialog and you will have to choose Input Method manually. This is an intentional limitation built into Android by Google. No app is allowed to change Input Method without user interaction (unless the app is a system app).
What’s New in External Keyboard Helper Pro version 4.9:
* Added a workaround for misplaced space when using Korean layout in ConnectBot.
* Ctrl+key on non-ascii characters how use non-remapped key. This makes it possible to use Ctrl+C, Ctrl+A and so on even if current layout is, for example, Korean or Arabic.
* Minor cosmetic fix for tablets.
Download External Keyboard Helper Pro 4.9 (Android)